Distributor/ Electronic ignition?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by EZDUZIT, Nov 19, 2008.

1. EZDUZIT

EZDUZIT In Third Gear

OK Guys, got the question of the hour. AS some of you know I have a 1968 Ranchero with the 390. I had my heart set on a Pertronix Ignitor II to update my points. But I have had a revelation, My distributor is very worn and I don't know how well the vacuum advance is working. So this leads to the question.
    Do I:
    A: try and rebuild the old dist. install the Pertronix unit?
    B: Buy a later model FE dist with electronic ignition built in and add a module?

I am going to rebuild the engine one day and beef it up a little, nothing radical. So I don't think I need a MSD ignition, however I do want a solid ignition that I don't have to upgrade later. Let me know what you think! Thanks Josh

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Lots of choices on ebay, though the prices look kinda high to me.

If you're up for the work, then I think your first plan is the best one, and probably also the cheapest. I assume that replacement bearings are still available? Not sure what it means when you say your dist is very worn?

3. EZDUZIT

EZDUZIT In Third Gear

Sorry not worn/ Well used! Like I said It has some shaft play and I'm sure the breaker lobes are worn. Vacuum advance still works, I don't know how well.

4. EZDUZIT

EZDUZIT In Third Gear

Well I just called O'Reilly and they have a single Point, Single Vacuum Dist. for $39.99 with a $20.00 core! Sounds good to me, I could just go and buy a new Dist and add the Pertronix Ignitor II for $110.00. Then top that off with a set of new wires, Cap, Rotor, Pertronix coil, and Plugs! This will be a $250.00 Venture!:eek:

I'D like some more suggestions before I go this route though.:D

5. OldFordGuy

OldFordGuy In Second Gear

After fighting with my stock distributor for a long time I put a Pertronix billet Dizzy and Ignitor II coil in the Cleveland. The change in performance and my fuel mileage was amazing. All of the preigniton went away and they are really easy to set the Advance curve. A curve kit with springs and stops is included. Oh, did I mention they're Tech Support is outstanding. You'll spend a little more than mentioned above but it's new stuff and it works.

Good Luck with your decision.

6. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

Definately get away from the points...either Ignitor, Duraspark...MSD etc...
    Upgrade to the late model 2 piece distributor cap for cleaner spark delivery

7. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

I want to add this in about msd, but I bet others on here have had this happen. I run a full msd system on my cleveland, and I like it a lot but here is what happened. So for the full system this includes a msd 6al ignition box, ready to run pro billet dizzy, 8.5mm msd wires, blaster 3 coil. The car runs great with this setup, but this past Sunday is when the fun happened. So i was driving home on the last main road before I get to my street, and the car just shut off like someone just turned the key off while driving. I also want to add that this happened to me during the summer, but it went away for months before Sunday, after I fixed the way the box was grounded. So I pulled over to the side of the road, and put the car in park, and the car just started right up like noting happened. So on Monday morning I called the msd tech, and the only help they could offer to me was to bypass the box, and run off the dizzy alone. So to fast forward to the present time, the car runs like nothing happened without the box. So yesterday I took out the box, and swapped it for another one where I work. So this weekend I am going to put in the new box and then put the car away for the winter. The weird part about this too is that I have read about this happening to others on the web, and also the opposite thing with the car not shutting off when the ignition is turned off. So in my opinion I think that msd stuff is great, and it does really in fact make the car run even stronger than a stock or slightly modified setup, but like all after market things, it has it's pros and cons. Well I hope I provided you guys with some useful info, but I will shut up now.
    Dave
    Dave

8. *RD*

9. EZDUZIT

EZDUZIT In Third Gear

I have to say that is an Awsome Piece! I think I know what I want for Christmas Santa!
    That is soo simple its worth the extra cash! I am looking at $275-$300 for the Pertronix or $347. for the DUI! I like it one wire hookup and it will work well with my EFI later on! :D

10. *RD*

Glad you liked it, my friend also seems pretty excited and sold by the whole idea. He hasn't gotton one yet, if he did I would have told you what he thought of it. If I didn't have the msd system, one of those would be under my hood.
    Dave

11. burninbush

Those one-piece rigs are nice, but ... will they clear everything, for example an air cleaner? And where are replacement parts if you need them?

Is there a Duraspark distro that fits a 390? One of those and the cheapest MSD box and coil would mean you could at least get parts locally. Or just use the stock duraspark electronics -- repair parts available anywhere, for cheap. There's an article up in the Tech section about a newer replacement [using GM parts!] for the duraspark box, works with the Dura distributor.

Do whatever you must do to get rid of the points distributor.

12. GregoryM

GregoryM In Fourth Gear

A NAPA NRD 482897 = Duraspark distributor for a 6.4l (390) 1976 F-250, w/single diaphragm vacuum advance. This is also widely availabe form other sources and from re-cyclers. It can be run with a "small" cap if you want to keep the original look or converted to the later big cap with corresponding adaptor. It can be connected to several different modules, 4 pin GM, Duraspark, Mopar, etc. Coupled with a TFI coil, it will put out a stout spark and can be assembled for less than $100 depending upon your scrounging skills. The HEI type distributor does have some clearance issues with certain airfilters and intake systems, examp. EFI. Also IMO, they just look wrong on a Ford engine.

13. Smile_n_jax

Smile_n_jax In Fourth Gear

I agree with Gregory. A GM dizzy just doesn't look right. If your dizzy has some shaft play, it's no big deal. The Pertronix unit is Hall Effect and is not affected by shaft play. The Pertronix II unit combined with their coil makes for a nice system. If the unit should fail you can go back to the conventional system. Carry a set of points, condenser, condenser hold down screw and a match book to set the gap and you're back on the road. Don't forget a screwdriver.:D

You can also add a multi-spark box at any time. I installed a Summit Racing box on mine. Made a world of difference, as someone noted before. Smoother idle, better response, improved mileage and no detonation. I can run 87 octane in my 11:0 to 1 compression 351C. This can all be done for less than $300 and you will retain your stock dizzy.

I would highly recommend you remove the dizzy. Check the vacuum advance and advance plate. If in doubt, get a reman. Clean and lube everything and put it all together. If you're running a street driver, I'm sure you'll be very happy.

14. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

You really want a GM tall distributor under the hood of your Ford? That's what it is. There's a sticky on using a GM-type module with a stock Duraspark dizzy.
    $50 rebuilt Duraspark dizzy with a $20 module, and you can get parts for them at any parts store. Summit has Crane points-to-electronic conversion modules with RPM limiter for around $50. :cool:JD

15. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

If you are looking at swapping to mustang mass air ford type swap you will need to run the factory TFI dizzy

16. EZDUZIT

EZDUZIT In Third Gear

I will be going MegaSquirt! No MAF, I only need a ignition trigger, MAP, TPS, and Temp sensor. I am not trying to basterdized my truck just want a clean simple engine bay. It will look funny anyway with a FE motor fuel injected.:rolleyes:

17. burninbush

If you are looking at swapping to mustang mass air ford type swap you will need to run the factory TFI dizzy >5.0

++++++++++++

On a 390???

18. Shrek

Shrek In Second Gear

Don't forget to keep the old stuff just in case ou ever get hit by EMP. :)