Engine Swap

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by wesley, Oct 28, 2015.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What's the oil pump problem? You just need a front-sump pickup, as I had to do to make the 351W work in mine. The 429 pump and pickup, I would think that is all you'd need.

2. wesley

wesley In Second Gear

The 400 oil pump has a bit of a different angle so it won't bolt. The 400 oil pickup is threaded and the 460 pickup bolts on and it brazed to the plate. I am going to drill out the plate or make a new one and thread the 400 pickup into the plate that bolts to the 460 oil pump

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

There are three different styles of oil pumps for a 460, with three different ways that the pickup screen mounts. Press, bolted at an angle, and bolted straight down. Find someone with a melling book, they have actual pictures of the pumps and pickups. Wouldn't it be nice if it turns out that simple?

4. handy_andy_cv64

I've only seen the 'bolted straight down,' so I'll shut my mouth now....

5. pmrphil

Sometimes I feel like I should, too :confused:
    Sure would make life a lot simpler

6. wesley

wesley In Second Gear

Ya, I did some research and found that. I'm going from the small block screw in on the side to the big block bolt on the side

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

When I did mine I removed the tube, hand bent a new one, and brazed it together.

8. wesley

wesley In Second Gear

Does anyone know exactly what engine mounts i need to put a 460 in a 73 ranchero? im having quite a bit of trouble with it

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

there is also a heat shield that is not available

10. handy_andy_cv64

Is it possible that a supplier like Green Sales Co. might have those heat shields?

11. wesley

wesley In Second Gear

Okay so this is just a little update. I purchased motor mounts for the 460 in the ranchero. The engine is in the car, bolted to the trans. I'm working on wiring now, I have all the brakes done with new calipers. The intake fits under the hood without the throttle body. When I put that on, it hits the center crossmember that is about a foot and a half wide. Does anyone have an idea to solve this? Is it okay to cut that crossmember and should I just get a small hood scoop? Thanks for your input 1460752433526.jpg 1460820495170.jpg

Vasili Brown likes this.
  12. Vasili Brown

Vasili Brown In Third Gear

I don't see a problem with cutting the hood. Wouldn't be the first person to do it

13. handy_andy_cv64

The way the EFI 460 intake was built, a smaller vehicle would have it sticking up through the hood. Is there a trashed hood you can get your hands on, in order to do the measuring and cutting, test fitting, etc.? I would do that to see if it's feasible, to see what you'd need to complete the job, and whether you'd have to petition the USPS for a Zip+4 for the ugly-@$$ed mailbox on your hood.

14. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Just a thought -- it wouldn't take much of an adapter to put a conventional throttle body on that manifold.

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Ah yes, Grasshopper ! BB has hit upon a capitol idea. You already have the injectors in place, very little is needed to finish that idea. Butterflies and a throttle position sensor with some sort of idle air by-pass built into a chunk the size of an average four hole carburetor = You're in business ! Interesting brain teaser, isn't it ?

16. ribald1

Hillbilly, edelbrock and holley, among others make and sell such a thing.
    4150 manifolds are converted to FI everyday.

17. pmrphil

You would need to make some kind of adapter, the bolt pattern on the manifold is not even close to the standard Holley pattern. Shouldn't be a big deal, though - start with a 1" spacer and a gasket for the manifold and see where you get.

18. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Ribald, I'm very familiar with the Holley and MSD systems, got both. They are the throttle body versions with four large injectors. I like that 460 lower intake with the injectors down in the intake runners, just need to cobble up a low profile upper to clear our original hoods. I understand the why of the long runners up to the butterflys but think such distance isn't needed to speed up the incoming air velocity for low end torque in our applications. Truck yes, car, not so much. Still thinking about this issue but haven't gone into fabrication mode yet. Thoughts ?

19. ribald1

Hillbilly, As far as I know, MSD only makes that type, but Holley and Edelbrock were making the plain 4150 style throttle bodies before the ones with the built in injectors came out.
    They were how fuel injection systems were built before the kits came out.
    As to the long runners many 385s have been built with throttle bodies hanging off each side, side draft style along with split intakes running two 4bbl throttle bodies.
    Putting the injectors in the throttle body never really got popular in racing.

20. handy_andy_cv64

That's because injector placement is really important. Look at an EFI tunnel ram, and you'll find that the runner bungs are up the runners a few inches as compared to a standard dual-plane, where the bungs are at the ends of the runners, pointing down to the valves. Blue Oval 3.8L cylinder heads are the exception to that, that I've seen. But one thing he needs to remember is that unless he wants to redesign/rebuild the throttle quadrant, his butterflies will need to be vertical. I thought about the possibility of using two 4.6/5.4L throttle bodies with 90* elbows, bolted to a custom adapter and using a common link to actuate both butterflies? The other idea would be to measure how much the factory throttle body/plenum assembly sticks above the hood, and then cut out that wide a chunk fom the plenum runners and heliarc weld the remaining pieces together?