How do I repair a paint damage

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by schluese, Oct 11, 2018.

1. schluese

schluese In First Gear

My 77 Ranchero was attacked sneakily by a garden gate. :confused::eek:

Now I want to fix the damage and heard that colors have been used in the US in the past (thermoplastic paints?), Which are not compatible with the modern colors in Europe.

However, Ford should not have used these. Is that correct?

Greets from Germany

andrewok1 likes this.
  2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Sorry about your damage pictures and color code from doorjamb drivers side, this will help someone here that may be able to help, with your repair
    WELCOME TO THE SITE also /Andy

3. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

It is true that the paint used when the car was made is not legally available in the EU or the US.
    A good automotive paint supply house should be able to get pretty close with the water based paint you all use.

5. schluese

schluese In First Gear

Thank you for your participation, but fortunately it's just a small damage.

Attached Files:

TestDummy likes this.
  6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The dent should be priority #1, paint after.

7. schluese

schluese In First Gear

I need to know if it is Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Lacquer.

I readed that Ford never used Acrylic Lacquer. Acrylic enamel would be better for me to paint the damage because there would be no problems with european Colors.

I will edit the dent later. The scratches are down to the plate and I want to prevent the rust. I´m thinkig about a hole painting next year.

8. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

If there is any rust now and you are going to paint later, sand the bare spots and put some good primer on it until your ready to repaint.

9. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Just a flesh wound, It will buff out...:cool:

andrewok1 and TestDummy like this.
  10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

ACRYLIC ENAMEL

01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
    Most of us are to some extent familiar with automotive paint, but it's worth a little background explanation of where the industry started and where it is today. Here's a timeline that shows the progression of automotive finishes.

1924 - Spray painting was introduced and the only available material was nitrocellulose lacquer.
    1929 - Alkyd enamel was introduced. It was tougher than lacquer and needed no compounding. Most manufacturers used either lacquer or enamel from this point on, depending upon availability and factory conditions.
    1940 - Chrysler and Ford changed over to enamels exclusively. Metal flakes in paints were introduced by the aluminum industry.
    1956 - Acrylic lacquer was popularized due to its better sheen and durability. GM went exclusively to the material.
    1960s - Paints utilized chromates, lead and other heavy metal chemicals that produced durable finishes. Ford called its enamels "porcelinized" paints.
    1970 - The first aftermarket polyurethane enamel, Imron, was introduced by DuPont. It utilized a two-part chemical system that was extremely durable. DuPont experimented with waterborne solvents during this period.
    1978 - High solids acrylic enamel becomes the paint choice of most manufacturers. These have the advantage of requiring fewer coats.
    1980 - Base/clear coats are experimented with on Lincoln Versailles
    1982 - Base/clear becomes industry standard.
    1987 - Water-borne primers introduced. These paints are not actually dissolved in water, but use water as the medium to help transfer the paint from the can onto the car. They took a long time to perfect at the factory level, during which many durability problems were encountered.
    1989 - Water-borne base coats introduced.
    1990 - Clean Air Act sets strict limits on VOC's emitted during paint applications.
    1997 - Anti-chip primers become industry standard.

11. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

The paint you need for your repair should be available from any good auto paint supplier in Germany. If a color formula is not available at my shop we use a special camera to take a picture of a clean area and it analyzes microscopicily what colors are it the paint and we can get to a good point to start matching the paint. Most auto paint suppliers have these cameras. I'm sure with the shops I have seen in Germany the repair you need should not be a problem.

12. schluese

schluese In First Gear

Thanks a lot.

The original blue paint reacts very easily to thinner, the silver color don´t.

In Germany we have only one word for "Farbe" it means color and paint.

My problem is the structure of the paint.

Color is 1G silver on the top.

13. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

14. 1979 RANCHERO GT

A city the size of Dinslaken should have a good auto paint supplier. Take the Ranchero there and they should have a camera to scan the color. They can advise you what exactly you have and what best to do the paint repair with. If we can match Mercedes and Volkswagen colors here I'm sure the European paints can match the US colors there. The repaint may be single stage or base/clear urethane depending on when and who painted it.

15. FrenchFan

FrenchFan In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

When i wanted to have my doors openings painted, the paint shop in France scanned the paint on the body and found the closest ref was a Peugeot color, they painted the doors openings that ref and you can clearly see the difference ...

16. 1979 RANCHERO GT

Very few paint shops spray paint directly from the can. There is always some time with the mixing bank tinting the color to match. The camera gives a starting point when the color code is unknown or there is no formula available to mix with. We had a '17 Cruz in last week that needed the fender replaced. Which color do you paint the fender when the bumper and the door aren't the same color? A little mismatch on the front and correct color the rest.

17. schluese

schluese In First Gear

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018