Theft prevention

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Clark, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Just curious what anyone is doing in the way of theft prevention for their Rancheros. Mine has to set outside as it will not fit in the garage.

The door locks amount to nothing as I know - having locked the keys inside.

I'd guess the Ranchero ignition lock cylinder is a minor nuisance for car thieves.

I had a steering wheel bar lock but cutting a Ranchero steering wheel is a nothing.

I could at least add a hidden ignition power switch.

Any suggestions?

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I installed a remote controlled power switch that shuts off power to the MSD box, down on the side of the radiator - can't see it even knowing where it is.

Buds 67, aquartlow and Saff54 like this.
  3. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

Just pull your coil wire and take it with you...

4. pmrphil

Too easy to spot, plus having to get out and do that all the time, in full view, wouldn't be much of a deterrent.

5. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Install an alarm system. Mine has many features which include sensors that trigger if anyone bumps it or attempts to raise it to steal the wheels/tires and interior sensors if someone reaches inside if/when the windows are down(which is never since the system automatically raises the power windows when armed). It also has a starter defeat or starter bypass relay. You could simply wire in a "kill switch" for the ignition, but that won't deter the perps from stealing wheels/tires or getting to the inside. Alarm systems won't keep any ride 100% safe, but does add another layer of security or at least a sense of security.

Buds 67 and pmrphil like this.
  6. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Wow aquartlow! You have "power windows".

7. aquartlow

Power everything baby :p

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Didja gut a poor unsuspecting Mark V? Shame on youuuuu......:eek:

9. aquartlow

Nope all Ranchero with a little Thunderbird thrown in. It has power windows, power door locks, tilt, cruise, power split bench seats
    (I modded the passenger side to be power- I sourced a driver's side power seat assembly from a T-bird).

10. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Got all that covered, plus power mirrors (C-3 Corvette/Camaro), Automatic Seat Back Latch Release (both sides), electric hood latch release (DIY) and power antenna. PDLs are direct wire using PW switches, so no relays or funky pull-up knobs.

Power to the (Ranchero) People!

BlackBeauty likes this.
  11. aquartlow

I'll cover that power antenna with my power antenna :p, and up the ante with a 9.5-1 BBF 472/C6 combo, a 3.25 rear gear with 4 pinion trac lok and 31 spline axles, 2000 Crown Vic 4 wheel disc brakes and calipers with hydroboost, 12.7-1 quick ratio Saginaw steering gear, 1 1/8'' front sway bar, 7/8" rear sway bar, Edelbrock electric fuel pump, dual electric fans, all aluminum radiator, 320 amp hairpin alternator built by Autotech, shaved door handles with remote entry, 6000 watt rms stereo system including 4-12's with 13 other drivers, custom bed cover with powered latch release and lift assist. All in.....

12. 1978GT

Ya got me with the drivetrain and brakes, but I do have the 1 1/8" & 7/8" sway bars, dual electric fans, rebuilt quick-ratio Saginaw box, 3G alternator, 15" wheels and remote keyless entry. Door handles are still original, but my to-do list includes replacing them with early 2000's Crown Vic handles. Pulled a set from the yard years ago by cutting the sheet metal all around, has the same contour so a fairly easy patch-in when I get a round tuit. That will happen about the same time I move the fuel filler to an undisclosed location.

I suppose you can match my Automatic Parking Brake Release and intermittent wipers. How about Illuminated Entry System and rear view mirror with compass, temp and map lights? How about rear camera? You probably match me with those, too.

Great fun pimping out these rides with a trip to the yard and a little yankee ingenuity!

13. aquartlow

Yep, all in good fun. Since our vintage years' of Ranchero seem to get no or very limited "love" from others, I felt it wouldn't be a big economic mistake to modify to my liking. Having other drivers/passers by give an approval or at least a "thumbs up" while out cruising, makes all the hard work worthwhile. I believe that the "modifications" will probably never end as long as I own mine, it keeps me interested in my 45 year old ride. Hopefully this conversation will push others to not only improve their Ranchero's but also pass along they're vehicular passion to the next generation. No rear camera here.... and you have a parking brake?? :p
    1978GT, I also enjoy JY trips, used to take my late son on trips so he could see different things, trying to pass on my interest in modifying vehicles to him. I enjoyed seeing the beginnings of his interest, but unfortunately his life was cut short at 20 years old. His passing definitely stagnated my desire.

14. pmrphil

Boy, you two :rolleyes: - and here I am with NO Ranchero :(
    But at least I do have my 64 Sprint, and yes, it's FUN :cool:

Kiwirancher likes this.
  15. 1978GT

When someone says "I like your El Camino!", I just say "Thank you very much!" If they don't know the difference, chances are they don't care either.

As a young kid, I once complimented a man on his MG. He barked back "This is not an MG, this is a MORGAN." I was left to hope that the snotty bastard would drive his MORGAN straight into a telephone pole.

All in good fun. Yes, indeed!

andrewok1, aquartlow and pmrphil like this.
  16. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

I've made the mistake once but just glancing quickly at an engine in a '66 Ford P/U and remarked about his FE and he corrected by saying it was a 351 Cleveland...oops...

17. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

Here is a few more things my 79 has in addition to some of the items mentioned. It was built on the last week of production and it is loaded with options when I bought it 43 years ago. Thunderbird door panels for the pw, pl switches, Tow package; the trailer wiring that plugs at the left taillight harness plug is still rolled up in the bag sitting on the spare tire(which has never been used) , illuminated entry, leather dash pad which is finally showing it's age, a Ford made tissue box for where the floor shift would go in the console., locking hood release and spare tire lock using the glove box lock key and there is still more. The change I made was grafting a 72 GT hood scoop and the two tone hood to match. It was loaded at the factory but had no radio, speakers or wiring, antenna. Now some of these high tech options are basic installs on new cars but then they were something.

18. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

[QUOTE="1978GT, post: 342892, member: 1236" ]When someone says "I like your El Camino!", I just say "Thank you very much!"[/QUOTE]
    me too. but most people over here have no idea that it is . would not mine electric mirrors. 1978GT did you use the original mirror housing. some of the other mods have got me thinking

19. 1978GT

[QUOTE="uk ranchero, post: 342908, member: 5292" ]1978GT did you use the original mirror housing. some of the other mods have got me thinking[/QUOTE]

The Corvette/Camaro mirrors are cast as one piece. I cut off the bases and mounted the housings to my OE bases with shims, sheet metal screws and J-B Weld. The switch is OE Ford, which I mounted in place of the RH mirror remote control, between wipers and stereo.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  20. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

The Corvette/Camaro mirrors are cast as one piece. I cut off the bases and mounted the housings to my OE bases with shims, sheet metal screws and J-B Weld. The switch is OE Ford, which I mounted in place of the RH mirror remote control, between wipers and stereo.[/QUOTE]

thank you. i read about converting the originals to power years ago. its something i have thought about for years, yours sounds like a better way to go. just need to find a suitable mirror. Corvette/Camaro' s are a bit thin on the ground over here