73 Marti Update

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by HVAC22, Jan 11, 2019.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

No real need, was kidding about the pictures. Interesting that some have 3 letter codes, some evidently don't. All three of the '72s I've had here had the 3 letter trim codes, 2 GTs and 1 500 Explorer Package. Got rid of Whitefish as the son that was supposed to do the majority of the work on it lost interest. Whitefish was a 351 4V C-6 non-A/C car that we were going to put the power train out of a P71 State Police Crown Victoria. That would have been fun, the Ranchero GVW was lighter than the Crown Vic by about 500 pounds.

2. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Since you mentioned A/C, it appears that someone stole the compressor out of my Ranchero. Condenser coil line pinched off but I can fix that. What other model vehicle can I pull a compressor from that will be compatible. I have a salvage yard about 10 miles from me that is independently own ( no LKQ), great owner, very large haven't been out since October. He had a couple late model Rancheros and an Elite that was in great condition. Think I will hit that yard up one day next week.

3. 72GTVA

Any '72 - '76 Ford Mid-Size (Torino, Ranchero, Elite, Cougar, etc...) for certain, probably '77 - '79 LTD II platforms as well. Are the foundations/brackets there? Do you have an underwood picture?

4. HVAC22

No brackets, no hoses. have the liquid lines, drier, accumalator

5. 72GTVA

351 2V typically had the York/Tecumseh compressors - two brackets, a lower that attaches to the driver side head and an upper that attaches to the water pump IIRC. Just because I like spending other people's money (a joke in case you don't recognize it) you might look into converting to a modern Sanden type and upgrading the system. Heuvos Ranchero (I think) did the mod, saves a lot of horses. As an A/C person I know you are very well aware of the refrigerant issues...

6. HVAC22

Yea, I have a good sense of humor and a thick skin, which you have to have if you are involved in politics as I am. I serve as a County Commissioner.
    I really like the horsepower issue, would like to keep as much as possible...but as hot and humid as it get in the summer here I would like to cruise with A/C at times. Freon is not an issue for me since I did stash back some poundage of R22 when they started talk of the faze out. R134a no problem either. Can see that the new compressors take less power to reciprocate than the monster Tecumseh, they probably look better under the hood also. Damn good point 72GTVA!
    A lot of times my head wants to only think original. o_O

7. 72GTVA

Originality is great when you are looking at saving something of historical interest and worth. And sometimes it is better to update the technology when you are there anyway...

That written, I have a complete compressor, the brackets/idler and such sitting on a '73 351 4V from a 1973 Mach 1 Mustang out back that you can have if you want to come get it. You'll have to remove it and save all the fasteners to attach to yours. All parts are common to the Ranchero except the suction and discharge lines on the Mustang used isolation valves which were not used on the Ranchero. You might want to rebuild stuff, paint other stuff, and dress up as you wish, but it was all working perfectly when I took it out of the car 2 years or so ago. I'll throw in a complete set of 1973 Ford Shop Manuals if you want those too.

8. HVAC22

Wow! What can I say but thanks and I'll take it. Now to be able to get a day that's not snowing / cold as hell and that both of us are available. :)

9. HVAC22

Pulled the headlight covers today, could see the paint on the very edge of the trim so no doubt repainted. Think the mystery of the color is solve, just black. Pulled side panel inside same color. Cleaned and applied some wax to see if maybe there was some metal flake. It shined up nicely but was just black, which is ok with me. Now if I could just get the reason for the 6 digit DSO. My wife made me pull it out of the building with our two Galaxies because she couldn't move around the Gals. Sadly it is outside but does have a cover. Now its time the lower the boom and get that 40' x60' building I have been wanting. ;)

10. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

A nice shiney black always looks nice, makes the vehicle look larger too. Built two 40' by 60' buildings out on the farm and dang if they didn't fill up in just a few years. Never enough room in this hobby.

11. HVAC22

You speak the truth Hillbilly! Started out with the house garage, then the three kids got that for bedrooms. Then had a 30' x 24' filled with Galaxies, freezers,refrigerator, big screen, couch,etc.. Built 50' x 40' became sheet metal shop and company office. Poured a 30' x30' pad but know it is to small. By the time I put the Ranchero, my 79 Ford LGT 125 lawn tractor, the 63 Ford 2000 tractor, and other things the 40' x 60' will be tight.

12. 72GTVA

Start looking at your calendar and weather reports for a date convenient for you - I'm usually available although I still have to make periodic excursions overseas to get my getting shot at quota filled up.

13. HVAC22

Will do!

14. Hillbilly

Be carefull and use some restraint, otherwise if the wife isn't paying attention all the barns, sheds, and garages can fill up then you resort to filling up the back yard. Back Yard 003.jpg Back Yard 005.jpg

Kiwirancher and HVAC22 like this.
  15. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Diggin' the big Pontiac wagon. Go surfin' in style!

andrewok1 likes this.
  16. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Hillbilly,
    I didn't see those vehicles -where were you hiding them, In plain sight, on the little piece of Tennesse you have, Can't wait to get back up to see these jewels !!!!!

17. HVAC22

Hillbilly, you are correct, black is beautiful but hell to keep clean. I have F150 that is black can never keep it clean. Swoar I would never own another black vehicle because of that it, it gets so damn hot in the summer. The yard collection pics brought back memories of my stepdad doing the same. He had a building just big enough to get the projects in. He is a great mechanic, can't do much now because of lifelong smoking destroyed his lungs but man what a fountain of knowledge I have access to! Projects out of his shop that he gave me ( young and to dumb to know what I had) 65 Mustang, 65 Dodge Cornet w/440, 66 Plymouth Sport Fury w/ 383, 71 Pontiac Leman w/ Factory Hurts shifter (man I loved that car) which he had me rebuild engine while he supervised. Mom always complained about the cars in the yard but always encouraged his projects . She was 10x more hell on wheels than him with the driving of the cars. He built her a 72 Olds 442, man she would take my brothers and I to school we would nearly mess our pants. She loved HP and speed. Sadly she passed March two years ago. By-the-way in the second pic is that a 65 / 66 Galaxie?

18. Hillbilly

69 LTD two door hardtop with a factory 429. Photos taken a few years ago, most of those vehicles were bought by collector friends from Ohio. Our culls were rust free cherrys to them. Sold around 70 vehicles to those boys, don't know who had the bigger smile, them or my wife. Cars still end up here like a magnet. Still partial to black though, first car I owned was a black 59 Fairlane that I still have in dry storage. Instead of that 61 Catilina you would have enjoyed this 64, a/c in it still worked. Back Yard 001.jpg

beerbelly and HVAC22 like this.
  19. HVAC22

Dang sure sweet! Nothing like making a little money at the same time enjoying something you love! :D

20. HVAC22

ohhh yea, the vette ain't bad either.