New Members ( Introduce Yourself)

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Rancherous, Oct 25, 2004.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I ran into a guy today with a '72, a bit beat up, but then, what standard Ranchero DD isn't? I think he said his name was Reed, and I gave him the site addy, so hopefully he'll peek in.

2. handy_andy_cv64

I have pics of his rig, but I don't want to post them without his permission.

3. Black Cloud

Black Cloud In First Gear

Mel here, just got a 71 Ranchero 500. It's complete and runs, but needs a lot of TLC. Unfortunately it's going to have to sit until Spring, or until the Harley basket case I'm currently working on is finished. Until I have time to get to it I'll probably be doing more reading than posting. I had a 71 Torino when I was a kid, so it's not completely foreign territory to me. Thanks for having me.

4. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

welcome to the site / post pictures

5. New Guy

New Guy In First Gear

Hello everybody, New Guy here I inherited a '57 Ranchero Vin# G7RF204909. Used to my father in laws truck. Working on tuning it up and noticed the timing is way off around 16 TDC. Tried to loosen the distributor but it is lock in tight, tried knocking it loose with no luck. Any ideas? It's 312 engine.

New Guy

6. handy_andy_cv64

Take your choice of penetrating oil, WD, PB or Kroil. Apply liberally, let sit for a couple days, then strike the dizzy body carefully with a hammer a few times while attempting to work it back and forth. But, one quick question: have you checked and set dwell first? Because a change in dwell causes a change in timing, and someone may have advanced the timing without knowing about dwell's effect as the points wear.

7. Black Cloud

Black Cloud In First Gear

Here are pics of the truck and engine bay. The interior is pretty ratty and it's gonna need a tailgate.

Attached Files:

8. New Guy

New Guy In First Gear

I haven't done anything for the dwell yet. It seams to run sluggish for a v8 and it cuts out under hard acceleration. Put a new distributor cap on and that helped smooth out the idle. Plug wires are next to be replaced.

9. handy_andy_cv64

OK, but dwell followed by timing are everything for point-condenser ignition cars. There are plenty of dwell meters of every stripe on ePay; I found a Sears engine analyzer for $20 at a junk shop, complete and works correctly.

10. New Guy

New Guy In First Gear

I barrowed a dwell meter from a friend. Dwell is at 32 degrees and timing is 16 TDC.

I talked to my brother in law and he said the motor has been rebuilt but he doesn't know if anything has been modified. I did change the in line fuel filter and that helped quite a bit.

New Guy

11. handy_andy_cv64

Good, although dwell should be maxed at 30*; IIRC, it's to prevent overheating the coil.

12. Zapper68

Zapper68 In First Gear

Good Morning,

My name is Cal and by all appearances I'm likely the "new guy"on this forum. Back in the day (1970) I had a '69 Mach I, 428 CJ shaker, 4 speed car which I owned for 4 years. Recently, I have been searching for my old Mustang (without success due to privacy laws) but have had the good fortune to find a more than suitable substitute.

Six weeks ago I purchased a '69 Ranchero GT, 428 SCJ 4 speed car from a gentleman that owned it for 33 years. According to the associated Marti Auto Works report, my car is one of 35 that were produced with the engine/transmission codes and the only one painted Indian Fire equipped with a 3.91 Traction-Loc rear axle.

My Ranchero was built in Atlanta and has spent it's entire life here in British Columbia Canada, having been ordered and shipped to Eagle Motors in North Burnaby. My car buddies here think I have hit the mother lode.... :)

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  13. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

Welcome aboard. Sounds like a heck of a find! Is it all original?
    How about some pics?

14. handy_andy_cv64

Up in BC, eh? I'm just South about a hundred miles in Everett, and I would certainly love to see your Ranchero also. Do you have it on the road, or is it in need of some work?

15. Zapper68

Zapper68 In First Gear

It was a 'heck of a find' and mostly all original. I'll get a few pictures up for you in a couple of days.

I'm over in Kelowna and managed to get the Ranchero on the road after I received my Collector License Plates. It only required a minor tune up (points, plugs & wires) an adjustment to the drivers side window and remote control mirror mechanism. The clutch is a little 'grabby' but that's understandable considering the car sat for so many years. The more I drive it the better the clutch is feeling but I'll more than likely change the clutch ass'y and throw out bearing this winter. Amazingly, the original exhaust is still on it and the AM/FM radio works as does the factory tach... Although I have a couple of Chevs and a Plymouth in the garage the Ranchero is quickly becoming my favourite driver.

16. handy_andy_cv64

Your favorite driver. That's excellent.

17. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Mine is a 69 GT, 428 Cobra Jet, C6... According to the Marti Report, 1 of 183 built with that Engine, 1 of 101 with the engine Tranny combo...
    That is a nice find! If its all matching numbers, it could be the motherlode, of Ranchero's!

I was under the impression that with 101 of 183 being C6 cars, that the other 82 would be 4 speed. But I guess its possible that someone thought it might be a good idea to put 3 speeds behind that motor??? Is yours a RAM AIR?

18. Zapper68

Zapper68 In First Gear

My Ranchero was ordered as a 'Q-code non ram air' 428. However, sometime in the past the Ram Air package has been added to the vehicle, which I'm researching now. Interestingly, my car was built on June 11th 1969 which was my fathers 50th Birthday...

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  19. bentquarterpanel

bentquarterpanel In First Gear

New to forum My name Robert Smith my 1st Ford Restore past 55 Chevy Nomad and built to 55 Chevy Cameos 1968 Buick GS But back to the Ranchero I'm sure to ask a few questions like where to buy some parts. I just picked it up and going to start on Chassis 1st disc brakes go thru rear end new springs etc. rebuild front end then to the body. Thanks Glad for the forum it's a 1957 with 302 4speed

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  20. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Welcome in, what year Ranchero. ?